Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) can be prevented or slowed down, if already present, through the following techniques:
- Yearly kidney function tests - If you have any risk factors for CKD, kidney function tests could result in early detection and better outcomes.
- Controlling your blood pressure
- Stop smoking
- Maintaining a healthy weight - Implement a healthy diet and exercise 3-4 times a week.
- Maintaining a low sodium diet (nutritional needs may vary depending on your stage)
- Avoiding frequent or long-term use of over-the-counter pain relievers (such as ibuprofen)
- Avoid illegal drugs
- Limit your alcohol consumption
Individualized nutrition counseling is available and may help prevent or slow down the risk of disease. To inquire, find a location near you today.